A Scriptural Challenge to all Christians
Study and Rightly Divide the Word
Make haste to present yourself accepted to Yahuwah, a worker that has no cause to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - 2 Timotheos (Timothy) 2:15
In the above verse, which is translated in most English versions as "Study to show yourself approved . . .," the word translated as "study" really means to "make haste" or "be diligent." Regardless of how it is phrased it literally means that every one has the duty to himself and Yahuwah to search the scriptures for themsleves to determine the truth of what they hear from and have been taught by man. If we do not do this we cannot know and understand the word of Yahuwah and therefore cannot know or understand His will for us. It therefore behooves us to not take anyone else's word for what His will is but find out for ourselves through diligent study of His word.
The phrase "rightly dividing" literally means to make a straight cut. There are many divisions in scripture and we must determine what and where they are so that we can understand what we are supposed to be doing TODAY. Many people are following laws that were valid under older and no longer valid covenants than the one in force today and therefore are NOT in obedience to the will of Yahuwah.
Some natural divisions in the word of Yahuwah
The below outlines some divisions, some obvious, some not, in the word Yahuwah. What happens at these divisions is that some new part of Yahuwah's plan comes into effect, or the way He enforces His commandments is changed, or the way His people are organized is modified, etc. I'm sure that as you continue to study His written word, you will find more divisions that I may not have mentioned. Without understanding the reason for and the meaning of these divisions it is doubtful that you will ever grasp the full import of Yahuwah's word, and therefore will not grow in grace the way He has commanded. This makes it very important to continue in obedience to His word. 2 Timotheos 2:15 gives the command.
Languages of the Scripture
- Ibriy (Hebrew) scripture and Kasdiy (Chaldean or Aramaic) = B'ereshiyth (Genesis) to Malachi (erroneously referred to as the Old Testament).
- Greek scripture = MattithYahuw (Matthew) to Revelation (erroneously referred to as the New Testament).
Before Noach (Noah/Noe)
- Creation - Elohiym creates the worlds and all it contains, including mankind. Elohiym blesses the created man and woman and tells them to multiply and replenish the earth. - B'ereshiyth 1
- Eden - The Elohiym Yahuwah makes the garden and places His creation, man, in it as a caretaker. - B'ereshiyth 2:7
- The fall - Man sins. Yahuwah curses Adam, Chawwah (Eve), and Satan. First prophesy of Yahushua given.- B'ereshiyth 3:14-19
- Patriarchs 1 - The long-lived patriarchs were the leaders of the nation (for instance Methuwshelach [Methuselah]) - 969 years at death) prior to Noach and the Deluge.
- Flood - Yahuwah regrets creating man and vows to destroy all but Noach and his immediate family (wife, three sons and their wives).
- Mankind has one language and attempts to reach the skies (heaven). Yahuwah confuses their language and disperses them throughout the earth.
- Patriarchs 2 - The regular lived (three score and ten) patriarchs were the leaders of the nation.
- Abraham - The first covenant concerning the lineage of Yahushua is given.
- Captivity - Yisra'el goes into Mitsrayim (Egypt) for 400 years.
- Shemot (Exodus) - Yahuwah delivers Yisra'el from Mitsrayim (Egypt) through His slave Mosheh (Moses).
- Judges - Yisra'el had Judges as leaders of the nation. Yisra'el continued to sin and repent, sin and repent. Othniy'el (Othniel) was the first (Judges 3:9), and Shemuw'el (Samuel) was the last.
- Kings - Yisra'el had kings as leaders of the nation. This was not what Yahuwah wanted them to do, but because He gave them free will, He let them try it anyway (Everybody else had kings, and they wanted one too. Sha'uwl (Saul) was the first (Shemu'el [Samuel] 9:17) and Shelomoh (Solomon) the last to rule the combined kingdom).
- Nation split (1 Kings 12). House of Yisra'el becomes the northern kingdom, the house of Yahudah (Judah) the southern kingdom. People of the House of Yahudah become known as the Yahudiym (Jews). See 2 Kings 16:6.
- Yahushua - Birth, life, ministry. Old Testament (Ten Words) still in effect.
- Yahushua - Death, burial, resurrection - Old Testament (Ten Words) put aside. New Testament (Law of Grace) placed in effect. At this point the Law of Mosheh was also pout aside. (Starts in MattithYahuw (Matthew) 27, Markos (Mark) 15, Lukous (Luke) 23, and Yahuchanan (John) 19.)
- Day of Pentecost - Fifty days after Passover (Acts 2). Grand opening of the assembly of Yahushua.
- Sha'uwl (Paul) - Conversion and start of ministry (Acts 9). All the "Pauline" epistles written.
- Kornelios (Cornelius) - Conversion and immersion (baptism) of first Gentile convert. (Acts 10)
- Revelation - End of society as we know it, the beast reigns supreme for awhile, battle at Yeruwshalom (Jerusalem), then the millennial reign of Yahushua on this earth, Satan released from pit and attempts another battle, doesn't work, final judgment and destruction of this world and its inhabitants. New Yeruwshalaim comes down to the New Earth out of the New Sky. The saints are with the Yahushua forever.
- Word = logos - The utterance, including even the thought. So the Word is the utterance of Yahuwah. This utterance includes the Word, Yahushua our Savior.
- Truth = truth - Truth is truth is truth. No matter how someone tries to twist it, change it, deny it, or do whatever to it, it remains the truth. It is up to us to determine what is truth, and then stick to it.
Rightly Dividing the Word
Lessons in Rightly Dividing the Word
Study to Show Yourself Approved
The Ten Commandments